Let it be known: Finding a charitable organization who is willing to work with a company that fully supports Cannabis legalization is pretty though, even when all of your products are federally legal to manufacture and distribute. Though CannaSmack has been turned down many times by worthy causes we care about, we haven’t let that stop us!
We are so happy and excited to announce that we’ve received approval to donate openly to The Beacon House Association of San Pedro. This rehabilitation facility got on our radar once learning from close family friends that The Beacon House truly goes above and beyond in helping those in need, regardless of their financial status or healthcare coverage.
The service that The Beacon House Association of San Pedro provides resonated strongly with CannaSmack’s owner, Suzanne; within the past 5 years, Suzanne has lost her brother and a very close friend to prescription drug opioid addiction, an ever increasing problem not just in her home state of Utah but all over the USA.
An estimated 115 people in the United States die of opioid overdose every day, a problem that started in 1990 when big-pharma assured doctors that synthetic opioids where “non-addictive”. Opioids include prescription pain relievers, synthetic opioids such as fentanyl, and heroin.
- Roughly 21 to 29 percent of patients prescribed opioids for chronic pain misuse them.6
- Between 8 and 12 percent develop an opioid use disorder.7–9
- An estimated 4 to 6 percent who misuse prescription opioids transition to heroin.7–9
- About 80 percent of people who use heroin first misused prescription opioids.7
- Opioid overdoses increased 30 percent from July 2016 through September 2017 in 52 areas in 45 states.10
- The Midwestern region saw opioid overdoses increase 70 percent from July 2016 through September 2017.10
- Opioid overdoses in large cities increase by 54 percent in 16 states (July 2016-September 2017). 10
The Beacon House Association of San Pedro provides men over the age of 18 a safe environment to recover from alcoholism and drug addiction. Their community based program is peer group oriented, providing shelter and food in addition to mental health recovery services. Additionally, members are encouraged to give back through community service.
We don’t want to stop here!
In addition to currently approved charity efforts, CannaSmack is actively searching for and contacting reputable and honest facilities that provide services for women and LGBTQ.
If you have any leads for us, please reach out!